6.23.2010

My special 12

There are several types of separation-
separation from yourself,from your family,your country,your boyfriend, your lover. separation from your work, from your space, from so many other parts of one's life. even separation from your favorite cartoon character when you enter a new phase of age.

but there is one kind of separation that was new to me.
separation from the special 12.for the last months I have been taking memoir writing class I at Gotham Writers' Workshop and tonight it was the last class. When Shahnaz Habib; our teacher; left the bar we went after class for a beer, I felt an end. My eyes turned to waterfalls only to prove to myself that once again I live in the past and not in the future. After Shahnaz, little Caroline followed taking with her out of the bar doors all the innocence of her family stories.
"Why are you leaving so early?" I asked her.
"I have to wake up very early at 8am to go to work and honestly, lately I need more sleep at night than usual. I feel I am getting old" she replied.
"How old are you?"
"I am 24" she said.
"24??? And that's old? What should I say that I am 30 with half my hair white already?Dont go kid yet!"

Kara had only one beer and left right after. She left fast. I dont think she could manage the separation either.

Cindy, oh Cindy don't go now. You too? So early?
Stay a while. What if we built a rubber room altogether and stay there writing for ever all of us; the special 12?

Raquel continued saying the story about her latest exciting life news but as soon as the story arrived to an end she said:"I have to go girls now"and Connie with Sebene grabbed their staff preparing to return to their lives.


For a moment, all I wanted to do was to stay there at that bar,order one more Blue Moon beer and start writing forever. Why do I have to go outside and live the future? Can't I stay here at this bar stool with a notepad and a pen and keep writing about the past?

I will miss the special 12 and especially those who didnt make it to class tonight; Sarah, Eliza and Ryan. But now that I am separated from them, I can keep living with them by making them my new characters of the short stories, the special 12.

Hey everyone, where is our Saam?I am sure if I had stayed at that bar she would have entered after you were all gone to keep me company till the bar would close at 4am or maybe 11am!

Love,
Maria

2 comments:

  1. eisai mia koukla akrivws opws tin prwti fwra pou se eida...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. se efxaristw pou diavazeis afta pou grafw!!!
    mou aresei to "panaigialeios"
    filia se olous ekei!

    ReplyDelete