6.12.2010

- MY MEMORY'S CHAINS AND THINGS

Long Beach, 2010

Saturday June 12th 2010 6:14:35 am COME SEE ME I woke up by a sudden inner call. My morning coffee was not good. I made a second and a third one to get the satisfaction of its taste. I looked out from the window and wondered: What happened to that last scene that we both played well? After that, we left the chains and things and started both a journey; a mind trip as I call it. But somewhere in the night’s mind, we are still at the studio he had back then in the port of Pireaus looking the sunrise at 6:14:35 am. I was still in bed next to him. I was feeling close to him. It was the first time he had woken up early to see me in the morning. That was the morning he told me he was boarding on a ship few hours later to leave Greece.Or was it a different morning? I cant see clearly now.

Eight years ago. Its summer in Athens.

The door is open.

I walk in. My heels make a disturbing noise.
The ashtray has 7 half-burned cigarettes. Viewing them, the first thing that comes to mind is, NEED. He is seated on the couch waiting for me having one more of his cigarettes. I am bothered now that I can’t remember the brand of his smoke.


He is not saved. His beard has gotten long. His feet are naked. He is not wearing a shirt. He has only his jeans on.
“You are late” “I sent you the message to come see me an hour ago”

“I had to take a shower and it took me a while to drive here. There was traffic on the highway” “What is going on?” You are suddenly worried for me or my lateness?” I thought it was clear what this is for both of us”
The door is open. Do you know this?

“I was waiting for you and I don’t care for the door”
“You are here now.”

If I could reply today, I would say:
“You are in my memory now. The thrill is gone but I can’t lose these chains and things of the past. I carry them with me”

- Garia August

1 comment:

  1. I like the sound I imagine your heels make. I've lived a few last scenes but cannot remember the the footwear worn. Enlighten the chains and think of them as threads in the fabric of life.
    J

    ReplyDelete