1.31.2010

- MEETING K.M.


Foto: Masha Froliak

A whole evening at Kate Millett's home -

At the table there is still some chocolate, chips, the empty bottle of the french liqueur we just finished,a bottle of rose wine and our three empty glasses.

She looked over lighting up her cigarette and said: "I am always afraid when I start writing a book"

Garia replied: "I am tormented" is that the right word to say?

K.M: You don't need to be tormented. Keep practicing and write the damn thing.

While Masha Froliak was keeping a record of that uniquely special evening,
Kate Millett was reading :
In 1972 through misguided family
intervention I was caught and held in a California madhouse. And again
in 1980, this time in Ireland where my sympathy with the hunger strikers and "my record" made it possible for the police to commit me indefinitely to a back ward asylum in County Clare.

I was fortunate that both imprisonments were brief. Few are so fortunate.
But I have a record now; it could happen again.
Any time.
by Kate Millett.


Next time I know she will not forget the eggs at the pumpkin pie.

But it did taste so good even without the eggs.

- Maria Garozi

No comments:

Post a Comment