2.21.2011

- Nostalgia






It was a Thursday afternoon at the office. An uneventful afternoon as I tend to describe an afternoon at work that has no surprises. That was until D.C. arrived.


She approached my desk with a book.

“I believe this belongs more to you than it does to me” She said offering me a photography book with the title HELLAS (GREECE).


“Thank you Doris” I replied with a smile that was covered by a lipstick that had both a happy pinky color and a sad purple one.


I took the book and hid it in my drawer. The first feeling was that I am not ready to see the photos of my country being away for seven years. Who would be ready or able to remember through the pages of a book the smell of the gardenia, the view of the gold cross on top of a Greek monastery, the taste of the Vanilia placed on top of a small table at the islands’ taverna, the sound of the Happy Greek youth singing at a concert, the windsurfers’s vans parked at Vassiliki Beach in the isle of Lefkada ready to download the boards for another fight with Aiolos and the waves, the dramatic aura of an old yiayia’s face seated in one of the alleys all dressed in black, the sound of the Ferry Boats arriving at the port of Pireaus.


Few minutes later, I opened the drawer and there I was falling in love once again with my country through the photographic material that William Abranowicz’s lens has captured. His work reminded me of a country whose people know how to live, how to love, how to inspire.


He reminded me of a land that is home of my eternal summer.


He aroused in me the need for Nostalgia.

And maybe for the Return.



For more on William Abranowicz and his books you can visit:www.williamabranowicz.com


Photos from the book HELLAS

2 comments:

  1. YOU aroused in me a sense of sweet nostalgia...even though i live here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pretty Visitor, so nice to receive your comment...thank you

    ReplyDelete